Skip to main content

Table 1 Ascorbic Acid Cancer Trials

From: Intravenous ascorbic acid to prevent and treat cancer-associated sepsis?

Condition Number of Patients Dose/Route Finding Ref
Mixture of solid tumors at different stages 49 Intravenous for 10 days 10 g and subsequently daily oral 10 g/day 17 pts no response, 10 pts minimal response, 11 pts growth retardation, 2 pts cytostasis, 5 pts tumor regression, 4 pts tumor hemorrhage/necrosis 11
Terminal cancer patients 39 Intravenous 10 g vitamin C twice with a 3-day interval and an oral intake of 4 g vitamin C daily for a week Health score improved from 36+/-18 to 55+/-16 (p = 0.001). Significantly higher scores for physical, role, emotional, and cognitive function (p < 0.05). In symptom scale, the patients reported significantly lower scores for fatigue, nausea/vomiting, pain, and appetite loss (p < 0.005). 12
Terminal cancer patients 100 cancer pts treated as compared to 1000 controls. 50 of the treated pts were in the publication described in ref 11. Intravenous for 10 days 10 g and subsequently daily oral 10 g/day Mean survival time > 4.2 times as great for the ascorbate subjects (more than 210 days) as for the controls (50 days). Survival-time curves indicate that deaths occur for about 90% of the ascorbate-treated patients at one-third the rate for the controls and that the other 10% have a much greater survival time, averaging more than 20 times that for the controls. 13
Terminal cancer patients 99 in one hospital and 31 in another hospital 30g/day intravenously Hospital #1: Survival of 43 days for 44 low-ascorbate patients and 246 days for 55 high-ascorbate patients.
Hospital #2: 48 days for 19 control patients and 115 days for 6 high-ascorbate patients.
15
Terminal cancer patients 60 AA, 63 placebo controlled 10 g/day oral The two groups showed no appreciable difference in changes in symptoms, performance status, appetite or weight. The median survival for all patients was about seven weeks, and the survival curves essentially overlapped. 16
Advanced colorectal cancer 50 AA, 50 control 10 g/day oral AA treatment had advantage over placebo with regard to either the interval between the beginning of treatment and disease progression or patient survival. Among patients with measurable disease, none had objective improvement. 17
Renal metastatic, B cell lymphoma, Bladder cancer 3 Cases 50-100 g intravenously, various regimens Tumor regression and unexpectedly long survival. 201