- We are a peer-reviewed journal in the top 50% percentile of ‘Medicine, Research & Experimental’ journals in the JCR.
- As a fully open access publication with 2.68 million article downloads in 2020, we offer the widest possible dissemination of your research, maximising your impact and acting as a springboard for further discovery.
- We feature specialized sections with expert Section Editors and Editorial Board Members.
- We provide high levels of author satisfaction, with 96% of our published authors reporting that they would definitely or probably publish with us again.
Aims and scope
Journal of Translational Medicine is an open access journal publishing articles focusing on information derived from human experimentation so as to optimise the communication between basic and clinical science.
The journal covers all areas of translational medicine but also has several specialized sections:
- Cancer Metabolism – Edited by Violena Pietrobon
- Cancer Microenvironment – Edited by Davide Bedognetti
- Cardiovascular, Metabolic and Lipoprotein Translation – Edited by Nehal N. Mehta and Tommaso Angelone
- Cell, Tissue and Gene Therapy – Edited by David Stroncek
- Cellular Metabolism Therapy – Edited by Salvatore Nesci
- Clinical Translation
- Combination Strategies – Edited by Paolo A. Ascierto
- Computational Modelling and Epidemiology – Edited by Michael Liebman and Sabrina Molinaro
- Data-driven Clinical Decision Processes – Edited by Enrico Capobianco
- Disease Biomarkers – Edited by Xiangdong Wang and Ho Fang
- Emerging Therapeutics – Edited by Gennaro Ciliberto
- Hot Topics – Edited by Richard Ablin and Marcello Maggiolini
- Illnesses of Unknown Etiology – Edited by Monica Panelli
- Immune RadioBiology – Edited by Claire Vanpouille-Box
- Immunobiology and Immunotherapy – Edited by Alessandra Cesano
- ImmunoVirology and ImmunoOncology – Edited by Luigi Buonaguro
- Medical Bioinformatics – Edited by Michele Ceccarelli
- Neuroscience – Edited by Maria Jose Polanco Mora
- Nutrition & Metabolism – Edited by Laura Soldati
- Pain, Critical Care and Anesthesia – Edited by Yasin S. Al Makadma and Ahmed Labib
- Patient-targeted Molecular Therapies
- Personalised Medicine – Edited by Jingxuan Shan
- Translational Cancer Biology – Edited by Cristina Maccalli
- Translational Craniofacial and Dental Medicine – Edited by Giuseppe Intini
- Translational Genomics and Genetics – Edited by Wei Liu
- Translational Hematology – Edited by Seah H. Lim
- Translational Imaging – Edited by Ravinder Reddy and Mohammed Haris
- Translational Medicines ‘Ecosystem’ – Edited by Vijay Mahant
- Translational Metagenomics – Edited by Souhaila Al-Khodor
- Translational Signaling and System Biology – Edited by Marcello Maggiolini
Why publish your article in Journal of Translational Medicine?
All articles published by Journal of Translational Medicine are made freely and permanently accessible online immediately upon publication, without subscription charges or registration barriers. Further information about open access can be found here.
As authors of articles published in Journal of Translational Medicine you are the copyright holders of your article and have granted to any third party, in advance and in perpetuity, the right to use, reproduce or disseminate your article, according to the BMC license agreement.
For those of you who are US government employees or are prevented from being copyright holders for similar reasons, BMC can accommodate non-standard copyright lines. Please contact us if further information is needed.
Open access publishing is not without costs. Journal of Translational Medicine therefore levies an article-processing charge of £2390.00/$3190.00/€2690.00 for each article accepted for publication, plus VAT or local taxes where applicable.
If the corresponding author's institution participates in our open access membership program, some or all of the publication cost may be covered (more details available on the membership page). We routinely waive charges for authors from low-income countries. For other countries, article-processing charge waivers or discounts are granted on a case-by-case basis to authors with insufficient funds. Authors can request a waiver or discount during the submission process. For further details, see our article-processing charge page.
Visit Springer Nature’s open access funding & support services for information about research funders and institutions that provide funding for APCs.
Springer Nature offers agreements that enable institutions to cover open access publishing costs. Learn more about our open access agreements to check your eligibility and discover whether this journal is included.
For more information on APCs please see our Journal Pricing FAQs
All articles published in Journal of Translational Medicine are included in:
- Current contents
- PubMed Central
- Science Citation Index Expanded
The full text of all articles is deposited in digital archives around the world to guarantee long-term digital preservation. You can also access all articles published by BioMed Central on SpringerLink.
Peer-review is the system used to assess the quality of a manuscript before it is published. Independent researchers in the relevant research area assess submitted manuscripts for originality, validity and significance to help editors determine whether the manuscript should be published in their journal. You can read more about the peer-review process here.
Journal of Translational Medicine operates a single-blind peer-review system, where the reviewers are aware of the names and affiliations of the authors, but the reviewer reports provided to authors are anonymous.
The benefit of single-blind peer review is that it is the traditional model of peer review that many reviewers are comfortable with, and it facilitates a dispassionate critique of a manuscript.
Submitted manuscripts will generally be reviewed by two or more experts who will be asked to evaluate whether the manuscript is scientifically sound and coherent, whether it duplicates already published work, and whether or not the manuscript is sufficiently clear for publication. The Editors will reach a decision based on these reports and, where necessary, they will consult with members of the Editorial Board.
All manuscripts submitted to Journal of Translational Medicine should adhere to BioMed Central's editorial policies.
Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
Citing articles in Journal of Translational Medicine
Articles in Journal of Translational Medicine should be cited in the same way as articles in a traditional journal. Because articles are not printed, they do not have page numbers; instead, they are given a unique article number.
Article citations follow this format:
Authors: Title. J Transl Med [year], [volume number]:[article number].
e.g. Roberts LD, Hassall DG, Winegar DA, Haselden JN, Nicholls AW, Griffin JL: Increased hepatic oxidative metabolism distinguishes the action of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor delta from Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor gamma in the Ob/Ob mouse. J Transl Med 2009, 1:115.
refers to article 115 from Volume 1 of the journal.
Appeals and complaints
Benefits of publishing with BMC
Journal of Translational Medicine's open access policy allows maximum visibility of articles published in the journal as they are available to a wide, global audience.
Speed of publication
Journal of Translational Medicine offers a fast publication schedule whilst maintaining rigorous peer review; all articles must be submitted online, and peer review is managed fully electronically (articles are distributed in PDF form, which is automatically generated from the submitted files). Articles will be published with their final citation after acceptance, in both fully browsable web form, and as a formatted PDF.
Online publication in Journal of Translational Medicine gives you the opportunity to publish large datasets, large numbers of color illustrations and moving pictures, to display data in a form that can be read directly by other software packages so as to allow readers to manipulate the data for themselves, and to create all relevant links (for example, to PubMed, to sequence and other databases, and to other articles).
Promotion and press coverage
Articles published in Journal of Translational Medicine are included in article alerts and regular email updates. Some may be highlighted on Journal of Translational Medicine’s pages and on the BMC homepage.
In addition, articles published in Journal of Translational Medicine may be promoted by press releases to the general or scientific press. These activities increase the exposure and number of accesses for articles published in Journal of Translational Medicine. A list of articles recently press-released by journals published by BMC is available here.
As an author of an article published in Journal of Translational Medicine you retain the copyright of your article and you are free to reproduce and disseminate your work (for further details, see the BMC license agreement).
For further information about the advantages of publishing in a journal from BMC, please click here.
Annual Journal Metrics
8 days to first decision for all manuscripts (Median)
96 days to first decision for reviewed manuscripts only (Median)
4,155,992 Downloads (2021)
7,409 Altmetric mentions (2021)